They are not perfect advice but stuff that worked for me. I've been sending this list to friends when they find out and I know that this list has some items that are worth while to the newly expecting!
Congrats!!
BUY
1) Prenatal Vitamins
Any will do. Really. I take CVS store brand. Take them now and until you're done breastfeeding to supplement your health and vitamin intake
2) Vitamin E Oil for topical use (read: stretchmark prevention and healing) $3.38
I one I love is made by the company Spring Valley. The product is called Vitamin E Skin Oil (12,000 International Units (IU)). At Wal-Mart, it costs $3.38 for 2-fl-oz bottle. The ingredients: soybean oil, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), and coconut oil. These natural oils are almost scentless. The natural oils have a light yellow color when in the bottle (like canola oil), but once applied, the natural oils are completely transparent. I splashed about a teaspoon into my hand then rub onto my belly (and anywhere else I want to repair/prevent from stretching.) It did not prevent marks as those are dictated by heredity but it did make them heal faster!
3) The Belly Book by Amy Rosenthal
It is a darling, unassuming journal from day one to birth that laughs at what you're going through and tips you off to what you will go through. There are spots for photos and notes and anything I didn't feel like answering, I drew a line through and kept some journal notes along with it.
4) Nursing Bras
Get them as you start to need new underwear. You'll use them later and they're generally more comfy than regular bras- wider straps, not a ton of padding. I enjoy my Motherhood Maternity one. I'll need a new one soon though for the size I'm growing to! Oof- I don't need more boob!
5) Bella Bands
These helped me maintain my wardrobe until I couldn't stand my unbuttoned pants anymore. A little steep at $26 each but they are darned handy and wash/hang dry easily. They hide unbuttoned pants and give you the length coverage that looks like a tank top! Nice for support too and I hear they are great for post baby to wear clothes that don't quite fit. Don't get the off brand or the cheap version. I loved mine but they tend to roll up from the bottom a little depending on the fabric you're wearing it with.
6) Light Pads
You'll have some unpleasant surprises in fluid form "down there". It's clear or close to it but wet is wet. To prevent feeling icky and embarrassing yourself, buy a box now. The U by Kotex in Thin are wrapped colorfully and are so ridiculously thin but effective that I can pack 20 into my clutch. I don't need that many daily but they're easy to stash. Sign up to get a free sample here.
7) A paper calendar + Post It Flags
I got a spiral style one. If you don't have a smart phone or a phone with hefty calendar capabilities, buy one of these to take to doc appts and make notes. It helps so much when scheduling appts and keeping track of symptoms. It's also a nice way to count down to baby. Each month, I put in the right number of flags for the number of appointments that I had to schedule. As I scheduled each, I'd place them on the day so I could see what I hadn't taken care of yet.
8) Sensible, supportive flats
My go to are Dansko shoes. They keep my arches up and are a solid base not to roll an ankle. They are darned cute but they are a pretty penny. New gym shoes may be necessary too as your feet widen from the relaxing muscles all over your body.
9) New Face Wash and my favorite skin care tool
You'll need to change your face wash if it contains salicylic acid. Apparently it's no good for baby. Tough stuff when you get hormone breakouts but I've found using Clinique Mild Liquid Soap with the Sephora $5 scrubber makes up for a lot! And it makes my cleanser last longer because the scrubber lathers the soap really well.
10) Organic Milk
I enjoy the Kroger in-house brand "Naturally Preferred 1% Organic Milk". The amount of hormones and junk in the regular milk are worth the price to avoid them while developing your little one. And get more organic fruits & veggies for that matter. Pesticides are extremely dangerous and most can't be washed off of produce because they have been absorbed into the produce itself through the water into the root system.
DO
1) Journal & Take Pics as you feel like it
I have a calendar in Gmail that I call "Diary" and I write little notes about what I did today and how I felt. It's a good place to track symptoms too. I also blog and share it with my closest girl friends. It's a good place to ask for advice and product recommendations!
2) Get in the Mani-Pedi habit
Some of my calmest moments come when the pedicurist is rubbing my feet and calves. Once ever 6 weeks for now may become biweekly later!
3) Set your waxing routine accordingly (if you're so inclined)
I wax every 4 weeks. It's timed nicely before doc visits. Some things are more sensitive than usual, others you could care less about. It's been nice as I've lost visual contact with "down there" to know that I've got a lawn crew hired :-) Not a waxer yet but interested? Now's the time to start. Get in a routine that lines up narrowly with your due date by like a week and your trips to the groomer in your 3rd trimester will be easy and helpful. Splurge? Pair a wax appt. with a mini facial or preggo massage.
4) Drink TONS of water
Sure, it means you have to pee it out eventually but it is the easiest, cheapest way to look and feel good while helping your body and your baby prepare for growth. Pee when you have to, don't hold it!!
5) Exercise
You're not broken, although you may feel exhausted, crabby, moody or any other combination of girly emotions. Treat yourself to tamer workouts as you see fit. My doc said it's safe to run all through pregnancy. It's even good for you and baby! You may not feel like doing so but walking and aerobics are great. Just monitor your heart rate and decrease the level of intensity to keep it below your 70% target.
6) Stop wearing heels at around 12 weeks
It will save your back. Doc "yelled" at me for coming to an appt. in heels to. The new weight displacement throws you off just enough to kill your lower back and sometimes your ankles. I wear subdued ones on occasion but closeted my 4" ones...
7) Keep up the romance - keep in touch with your significant other
Hubby appreciates it and it relieves stress. A good cuddle or foot rub goes a long way. Get creative when certain things turn you off (What? Feet smell?!
8) Change your face wash if it contains salicylic acid
See recommendations in "BUY" #9.
9) Avoid sitting for long periods of time
This is good in general but especially as you start to get a bump. More movement = better circulation and lower risk of clots.
10) Consider creating a "mommy" email account
For the things you sign up for and the registries you're going to have, it will be nice to have a separate account that handles diaper, cordblood and bottle spam! Then forward it to your preferred email address. When you're ready to be done with the constant influx of baby stuff, simply stop the forward :-) Secondarily, consider making an email acct for your little one. Write love notes, forward pictures, or invite friends and family to introduce themselves. It's a nice way to make time to reflect TO your baby-to-be and not just about them.
11) Sign up for Preggo Emails
Fitpregnancy.com, TheBump.com, BabyCenter.com and The Daily Kick from Parents.com are priceless for timely education and tips!
Any will do. Really. I take CVS store brand. Take them now and until you're done breastfeeding to supplement your health and vitamin intake
2) Vitamin E Oil for topical use (read: stretchmark prevention and healing) $3.38
I one I love is made by the company Spring Valley. The product is called Vitamin E Skin Oil (12,000 International Units (IU)). At Wal-Mart, it costs $3.38 for 2-fl-oz bottle. The ingredients: soybean oil, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), and coconut oil. These natural oils are almost scentless. The natural oils have a light yellow color when in the bottle (like canola oil), but once applied, the natural oils are completely transparent. I splashed about a teaspoon into my hand then rub onto my belly (and anywhere else I want to repair/prevent from stretching.) It did not prevent marks as those are dictated by heredity but it did make them heal faster!
3) The Belly Book by Amy Rosenthal
It is a darling, unassuming journal from day one to birth that laughs at what you're going through and tips you off to what you will go through. There are spots for photos and notes and anything I didn't feel like answering, I drew a line through and kept some journal notes along with it.
4) Nursing Bras
Get them as you start to need new underwear. You'll use them later and they're generally more comfy than regular bras- wider straps, not a ton of padding. I enjoy my Motherhood Maternity one. I'll need a new one soon though for the size I'm growing to! Oof- I don't need more boob!
5) Bella Bands
These helped me maintain my wardrobe until I couldn't stand my unbuttoned pants anymore. A little steep at $26 each but they are darned handy and wash/hang dry easily. They hide unbuttoned pants and give you the length coverage that looks like a tank top! Nice for support too and I hear they are great for post baby to wear clothes that don't quite fit. Don't get the off brand or the cheap version. I loved mine but they tend to roll up from the bottom a little depending on the fabric you're wearing it with.
6) Light Pads
You'll have some unpleasant surprises in fluid form "down there". It's clear or close to it but wet is wet. To prevent feeling icky and embarrassing yourself, buy a box now. The U by Kotex in Thin are wrapped colorfully and are so ridiculously thin but effective that I can pack 20 into my clutch. I don't need that many daily but they're easy to stash. Sign up to get a free sample here.
7) A paper calendar + Post It Flags
I got a spiral style one. If you don't have a smart phone or a phone with hefty calendar capabilities, buy one of these to take to doc appts and make notes. It helps so much when scheduling appts and keeping track of symptoms. It's also a nice way to count down to baby. Each month, I put in the right number of flags for the number of appointments that I had to schedule. As I scheduled each, I'd place them on the day so I could see what I hadn't taken care of yet.
8) Sensible, supportive flats
My go to are Dansko shoes. They keep my arches up and are a solid base not to roll an ankle. They are darned cute but they are a pretty penny. New gym shoes may be necessary too as your feet widen from the relaxing muscles all over your body.
9) New Face Wash and my favorite skin care tool
You'll need to change your face wash if it contains salicylic acid. Apparently it's no good for baby. Tough stuff when you get hormone breakouts but I've found using Clinique Mild Liquid Soap with the Sephora $5 scrubber makes up for a lot! And it makes my cleanser last longer because the scrubber lathers the soap really well.
10) Organic Milk
I enjoy the Kroger in-house brand "Naturally Preferred 1% Organic Milk". The amount of hormones and junk in the regular milk are worth the price to avoid them while developing your little one. And get more organic fruits & veggies for that matter. Pesticides are extremely dangerous and most can't be washed off of produce because they have been absorbed into the produce itself through the water into the root system.
DO
1) Journal & Take Pics as you feel like it
I have a calendar in Gmail that I call "Diary" and I write little notes about what I did today and how I felt. It's a good place to track symptoms too. I also blog and share it with my closest girl friends. It's a good place to ask for advice and product recommendations!
2) Get in the Mani-Pedi habit
Some of my calmest moments come when the pedicurist is rubbing my feet and calves. Once ever 6 weeks for now may become biweekly later!
3) Set your waxing routine accordingly (if you're so inclined)
I wax every 4 weeks. It's timed nicely before doc visits. Some things are more sensitive than usual, others you could care less about. It's been nice as I've lost visual contact with "down there" to know that I've got a lawn crew hired :-) Not a waxer yet but interested? Now's the time to start. Get in a routine that lines up narrowly with your due date by like a week and your trips to the groomer in your 3rd trimester will be easy and helpful. Splurge? Pair a wax appt. with a mini facial or preggo massage.
4) Drink TONS of water
Sure, it means you have to pee it out eventually but it is the easiest, cheapest way to look and feel good while helping your body and your baby prepare for growth. Pee when you have to, don't hold it!!
5) Exercise
You're not broken, although you may feel exhausted, crabby, moody or any other combination of girly emotions. Treat yourself to tamer workouts as you see fit. My doc said it's safe to run all through pregnancy. It's even good for you and baby! You may not feel like doing so but walking and aerobics are great. Just monitor your heart rate and decrease the level of intensity to keep it below your 70% target.
6) Stop wearing heels at around 12 weeks
It will save your back. Doc "yelled" at me for coming to an appt. in heels to. The new weight displacement throws you off just enough to kill your lower back and sometimes your ankles. I wear subdued ones on occasion but closeted my 4" ones...
7) Keep up the romance - keep in touch with your significant other
Hubby appreciates it and it relieves stress. A good cuddle or foot rub goes a long way. Get creative when certain things turn you off (What? Feet smell?!
8) Change your face wash if it contains salicylic acid
See recommendations in "BUY" #9.
9) Avoid sitting for long periods of time
This is good in general but especially as you start to get a bump. More movement = better circulation and lower risk of clots.
10) Consider creating a "mommy" email account
For the things you sign up for and the registries you're going to have, it will be nice to have a separate account that handles diaper, cordblood and bottle spam! Then forward it to your preferred email address. When you're ready to be done with the constant influx of baby stuff, simply stop the forward :-) Secondarily, consider making an email acct for your little one. Write love notes, forward pictures, or invite friends and family to introduce themselves. It's a nice way to make time to reflect TO your baby-to-be and not just about them.
11) Sign up for Preggo Emails
Fitpregnancy.com, TheBump.com, BabyCenter.com and The Daily Kick from Parents.com are priceless for timely education and tips!
I LOVE YOU. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing... just love ya!! <3