"I had to work and raise the children, so I started using drugs."
This at first sounds hilarious until you realize a mother actually said this.
The CNN article goes on to interview several people, describing the nationwide opium addiction as a tradition and way of life. So poor, they use the drug to quiet their kids while they work. Babies are born addicted, keep crying, then are soothed by their parents with more opium.
Breaks my heart to read that this is a way of life. They all were raised that way and some are seeking help. I'm blessed to be educated and I pray for these people and their poor children.
Here's the article.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That IS heartbreaking. I'm amazed at how easily the tears fall now that I have a little one. Every time I hear about something like this, I see Ellie in those other kids, and my heart breaks.
ReplyDeleteAngela M