Conundrum: I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex. Our 1st floor neighbor is a woman in her late 50's or early 60's.
She smokes.
Every hour.
Outside.
But not just outside, on her porch, inside of her storage unit with the door open, attached to the porch, so she can look out without others seeing her.
The smoke wafts up to our windows and blows inside if we happen to be enjoying the day's fresh air. Many a beautiful fall day has been ruined by her choice to smoke every hour outside. I am very sensitive to smoke and when it wafts into our apartment, it sort of gets trapped. Disgusting! So, at the first signs of smoke odor, we shut our windows and screen doors.
Smoking Neighbor also leaves her porch door and windows open, so it's obvious she enjoys fresh air as well.
With my upcoming time at home on maternity leave with a baby, I really want to know I can leave windows open for fresh air without sucking in her exhaust. Our aparment manager and much of the office staff are smokers so I think I won't get much sympathy from them.
What can I do before I actually resort to getting in her face about it? If I get in her face about it...
Wish we had laws like California where it's not legal to smoke withing a certain radius of a multi-family dwelling.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I soooooo sympathize with you as I am also very sensitive to smoke. Unfortunately I have no idea what to suggest. I've had similar problems *everywhere* I've lived in multi-family housing. It sucks. All the air purifiers and fans in the world won't help you on those days you want the windows open. I hear ya. Have you and Todd considered looking into moving somewhere that may be more attentive to your needs... or to your own first home??
ReplyDelete