Friday, October 1, 2010

Baby Prep Classes

Grumble...I just composed a beautiful blog entry only for the auto-save feature to eat it up without an undo.
Therefore, I'm going to recap as succinctly as possible. Why waste time.

Our child prep classes are going well. It's a 4 week class that covers the entire spectrum of what's coming. We've learned a lot! Labor positions and stages (cool guide from the hospital), relaxation techniques for 2, medical intervention possibilities, how to tell when it's the real deal, things to do to prepare both parents, and laughable but required, breathing techniques. We have a very nice, very patient veteran labor and delivery nurse taking us through the paces. Our class is full of jokesters and she handles us pretty well.

Last night we got to tour the Labor and Delivery portion of the hospital where our class is held. We saw a new mom with an hours-old baby walking into the hallway and Todd's reaction was, "they are so small!" This wee won let out a little cry and before I knew it, I was crying too. The only one of 7 couples to get that instant reaction. And when I start, I can't stop crying. So I wandered back to the nurses station and grabbed a few tissues. While charting a nurse looked up and asked if I was ok. I sheepishly answered, "Someone cried so I started crying." She smiled, nodded and said, "Hormones are rough."

Then when we made it back to our classroom, the first few strains of a lullaby came over the PA system. Another expectant mom in class said "A new baby!" and then I lost it again. Apparently they play that portion of the song when a baby is born. What a neat announcement hospital wide, day and night. I'm getting choked up just recalling it. Todd thought it was really cool, too. Everyone loves to hear that kind of news.

We're going to have our baby at IU Hospital. Their resources were hard to comb through on the web but they come out and say a bunch of things like:
What to bring to the hospital, amenities in the newly renovated rooms, and a list of popular names from a few years ago.
And they have a checklist of birthing preferences specific to the hospital as well as a virtual tour of a delivery room.
Major bonus, our hospital offers valet parking :-)

As for the rest of my reality, I find myself responding differently to inquiries of "How are you doing?" I used to pipe up with "Fine", "Good", and even "Great so far!" Lately, I've let it slide to different adjectives: big, slow, tired, round. I guess that's not bad for being 6ish weeks out. For now, I can handle it. But my feet do love a good rub at the end of the day.


pregnancy tickers


 BabyFruit Ticker

No comments:

Post a Comment