Thursday, July 14, 2011

Milk making and fed babies

Some advice for my friends with new babies, gleaned from one of my more coherent support emails to a friend as she became a new mom.

Milk Schtuffs and making it:
A word of advice on the nursing front that still makes a difference to this day for me- pardon if you know this - drink more water than you think you need. Input directly affects output. I had trouble making milk the first week and my brilliant friend asked me if I was consuming enough, calories AND water. It helped me a lot and I figured it might help ya too. If I don't drink water, I don't make milk and McBaby doesn't let me forget. I've had to go to my frozen stores on bad days :-( But it's hard when you're starting out.

On snacking babies and moving on:
As your nursing sessions get longer little by little and you learn new ways to keep baby's attention, it will get easier and milk will happen. Just keep at it! You can do this! My lil one was a snacker at first and it killed my chest. 4 mins here, 2 mins there. And my relief and hers came when I convinced her to stick with a session, waking her several times, nursing in spurts then Lanolin-ing the hell outta the girls. I fought her snacking urge with longer sessions which led to weight gain and better stimulation for me to make more milk. And only then did we start to get better rest between feedings with her full tummy and truly find a rhythm.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to have you as a friend! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that hydration stuff--SO true! I was astounded at the difference it made when I was intentional about drinking enough water. Good advice there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very true, Cait! I can really see the differences between days I'm not eating & drinking enough & the days that I am!

    ReplyDelete